We indulged ourselves a bit earlier in the week with a real cheesy cauliflower and spinach bake (used mom’s recipe for white sauce – one of the first things I learned to cook). We used the Apache chillies from the garden in the dish and it helped spice it up a bit. Feel free to reduce the amount of cheese you use.
What do I need to make it?
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite size florets (par boil with some salt)
- 1 small bag of spinach (~150gms) par boiled with a bit of salt
- 1 bunch of spring onions chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 6-8 green chillies chopped finely (de-seed if you want the sauce milder)
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour mix (we use Dove’s Farm flour)
- 100 gm medium grated cheddar cheese
- 100 gm red Leceister grated cheese
- 250 ml milk
- 75 gm unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
How much will I make?
How do I make it?
Heat a heavy bottom pan and melt butter before adding garlic, spring onion and green chillies. Saute for 5-8 minutes before adding the gluten free flour. Give it a good stir, add the milk and reduce the heat. Bring the mixture to a boil before adding half of each cheese. Continue to mix till you get a nice thick cheesy sauce. If it is too thick add a bit more milk. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well before transferring into an oven proof dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and place under the grill in pre-heated oven at around 220 degrees Centigrade. Remove the dish once the cheese has melted and begins to form a golden crust. Enjoy and then make an appointment to go to the gym afterwards to work it off 🙂
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try out your recipe! Thank you for posting.