Potatoes work really well with aubergines and they are an equal delight with cauliflower and peas. This is a fairly simple recipe which we pulled together and experimented a bit with a dry Gujurati dahl masala powder to season the dish. If the powder is not readily available then substitute with 1 tsp coriander power, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
What do I need to make it?
- 6 medium potatoes – peeled and quartered
- Half a head of a small cauliflower – cut into florets
- 1 cup of fresh peas
- 1 tsp pan puran (Bengali mix of mustard, cumin, nigella, fenugreek and fennel seeds). This should be available in most Asian grocery stores – we have also seen it in the Waitrose spice section)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 2 tsp Gujurati dahl masala powder (bought from an Asian grocer)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
How much will I make?
How do I make it?
Par boil the vegetables and keep aside. Heat a large pan with ghee and once hot add the pan puran. Saute for 30 seconds before adding the ginger and garlic. Continue sauteing over a medium heat till the ginger and garlic start to brown before adding the chopped onions. Cook for 5-8 minutes and once onions start to turn colour, sprinkle the dahl masala, stir and add the par boiled vegetables. Adjust the seasoning and cook for another 10 minutes till done. Serve with Indian bread of choice or rice pilau.