For all lovers of Indo-Chinese cooking an all time favourite has to be a vegetable hot and sour soup served with sliced green chilli in vinegar. This is our version of a classic.
What do I need to make it?
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 5 baby corns sliced thinly
- Handful of mangetout thinly sliced
- Handful of shredded cabbage
- 1 small onion chopped
- Half a green pepper finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 mushroom or vegetable stock cubes
- 50 gms of silken tofu chopped into small cubes
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- Handful of fresh coriander chopped for garnish
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp Tamari soya sauce (gluten free)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp spiced black rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
How much will I make?
2 large hearty bowls
How do I make it?
Heat a pan with the oil in it. Saute the minced garlic and ginger for thirty seconds before adding the chopped onions, green peppers and green chillies. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes (do not brown) and then add the remaining vegetables keeping the tofu aside. Sprinkle the white pepper powder and add the stock cubes with a litre of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the soya sauce and vinegar and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Dissolve the corn flour in a little bit of water and add to the soup. Allow the soup to thicken a bit before switching off the heat. To serve, place some of the tofu in a bowl – pour the hot soup over it and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.